Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > New Members Area > General Latin America Expat Forum > Learning Spanish and Portuguese

Learning Spanish and Portuguese Ask your questions about the Spanish and Portuguese language here. Please report back about schools, courses and translators that have helped you fine-tune your language skills to learn to understand and speak Spanish or Portuguese.

Spanish punctuation on the computer

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 10:46 PM
Banned

4 likes received

Please update your flags here
I am fluent in Spanish but up to a week ago had no idea how to make Spanish accents or punctuation in word processing or E-mail programs.

is alt 0225

Always press alt and hold it while punching the numbers. Release alt and the letter appears.

Peace,

Jim

Old 10-05-2002, 09:56 AM
Fred Fresno

I've been aware of the alt codes for a while, but never felt it worth the bother to commit them to memory. If you're working on your own computer, Windows easily lets you reset it to International English. That way typing an apostrophe before a letter gives you a accent (como as), typing a tilde before n gives you , and typing a double-quote before a letter gives you an umlaut (como en la palabra bilinge). When I get to an Internet cafe outside the US, then it's a whole different ballgame. Often hitting what I think should be an apostrophe gives me a written accent, and I have trouble remembering how to form an apostrophe on those keyboards. Also, it seems one often has to use "alt-something" to get an @. That's an important one if the point of visiting the cafe is to email home.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:18 AM
Kery

Another way to do it is to go into "keyboards" and "languages" on "my computer" and add a Spanish keyboard but leaving English as your default language. That gives you an icon at the bottom of your screen and whenever you want to write in Spanish you just click it to switch to the Spanish keyboard. It takes a little time to learn the keyboard but I think it would be easier than learning all those codes.

Closed Thread