Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia

Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia The Colombia Expat forum is for those who have started in a new life in Colombia and members who travel to Colombia frequently. If you are thinking about moving to Colombia then please feel free to talk with other experienced members. If you have any first hand experience, information, observations and facts about Colombia then please do share them with the rest of the Community.

Like Tree2Likes

Colombia Shoe size conversion

Old 05-27-2012, 11:44 PM
Active Members

10 likes received
5 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in colombia.
Default Colombia Shoe size conversion

Good evening to everyone,
I am going to Barranquilla in a few weeks and I wanted to take a pair of tennis shoes to the brother of my girlfriend there. She says his shoe size is 40. Does anyone know what that is in the States? Thanks a lot and I always enjoy reading the posts on the site here.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

977 likes received
2084 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in philippines.
Default Shoe Sizes

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenirish View Post
Good evening to everyone,
I am going to Barranquilla in a few weeks and I wanted to take a pair of tennis shoes to the brother of my girlfriend there. She says his shoe size is 40. Does anyone know what that is in the States? Thanks a lot and I always enjoy reading the posts on the site here.
That's a good question. Same thing here in Asia. I never tried to figure out the numbers. Just tried on shoes till they fit.
You might try asking a large shoe store there is the only thing I can think of. Sorry I cant be of more help on that one.

Gene

Old 05-30-2012, 10:54 PM
Active Members

10 likes received
5 likes given

Thanks for the hint Gene. I looked up a chart on the internet and it said size 40 was a size 9. Who knows? I hate buying shoes this way. Seems like the chance of them fitting is small but so goes life. Hope all is well with you Gene. Joel

Old 05-31-2012, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

977 likes received
2084 likes given

Yea, that's the way it goes. Would be just a guess on size with shoes. Would suggest something else that size would not matter. You might be surprised and find a shopping mall etc close to where you will be and be able to find good shoes etc.

Gene

Old 06-02-2012, 10:04 AM
Gringos Member

Please update your flags here

Colombia uses European shoe sizes so a 40 here is US size 9 you can see them here

Colombians must have small feet, I am having trouble finding any shoes to fit, they all seem to stop at 43, and I am a 44/45... looks like it will have to be a mail order job!

Old 06-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Senior Members

977 likes received
2084 likes given

Thanks to both of you for the replies on sizing shoes. I'll tell ya what really gets me is trying to understand the metric system. It was not taught when I went to school in the states so makes little sense to me now. Grrr I guess I'm from the old school...

Old 06-03-2012, 10:11 PM
Gringos Member

Please update your flags here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Thanks to both of you for the replies on sizing shoes. I'll tell ya what really gets me is trying to understand the metric system. It was not taught when I went to school in the states so makes little sense to me now. Grrr I guess I'm from the old school...

Join the Club!!! but it is a case of, 'needs must', after six years in Spain I had to know the sizes otherwise I would have looked like Robinson Crusoe

Gene likes this.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:43 AM
Senior Members

977 likes received
2084 likes given

Default Size Matters

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiar View Post
Join the Club!!! but it is a case of, 'needs must', after six years in Spain I had to know the sizes otherwise I would have looked like Robinson Crusoe
Yep... I found an easy way here though. My wife enjoys finding "stuff" for me. So when it comes to shoes etc, we go to the mall and she has a good idea of what fits and just has me try on things. Saves the guess work. What really bothers me though is the miles to kilometer thing. The road signs from here to there are 10km, 100km or whatever. Give it to me in miles so I know how far I have left to go... Ahh what the heck I'm on a blasted island anyway so guess the distance isn't that important anyway.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Active Members

10 likes received
5 likes given

Default Shoe Sizes and Metric

I appreciate all the feedback on the shoe size conversions-I am just going to buy a size 9 here and hope that does it. I am almost done with school-3 more days and then I get to go to Colombia and I really look forward to it. This will be my 9th trip there. Really a beautiful country and wonderful people so far that I have met. I am thinking of buying a house or apartment in Barranquilla. I will be asking for help on that one in the future. Thanks! Joel

Gene likes this.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Senior Members

977 likes received
2084 likes given

Default Travel Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by buenirish View Post
I appreciate all the feedback on the shoe size conversions-I am just going to buy a size 9 here and hope that does it. I am almost done with school-3 more days and then I get to go to Colombia and I really look forward to it. This will be my 9th trip there. Really a beautiful country and wonderful people so far that I have met. I am thinking of buying a house or apartment in Barranquilla. I will be asking for help on that one in the future. Thanks! Joel
Hi Joe,

I'll bet you're excited and ready to go! Don't forget to post a trip report when you get back and a few photos too if you can.
Have a great trip and stay safe.

Gene