Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia

Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia The Colombia Expat forum is for those who have started in a new life in Colombia and members who travel to Colombia frequently. If you are thinking about moving to Colombia then please feel free to talk with other experienced members. If you have any first hand experience, information, observations and facts about Colombia then please do share them with the rest of the Community.

Expats in Cali

Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 PM
Active Members

Users From Flag Originally from uk. Users To Flag Expat in colombia.
Cool Expats in Cali

Hi, I have just joined the forum. I am from the UK and worked on cruise ships for four years. During my time on the ships I made some good friends from Colombia all working in circus shows. Most are from the circus school in Cali. I met and had a relationship with a girl in the circus show who is from Cali. After a few difficult decisions I made the decision to come to Cali and maybe see if it was possible to start a life here with my girlfriend.
It has not worked out as I wanted with my girlfriend as I think she was too keen on my money and there was soooo many lies from her in our relationship, but I have fell in love with Colombia and still have many good friends here. So I am still looking to start a new life here in Cali. Is there any expats who are happily living in Cali and have you encountered any problems. I know Cali comes with all the warnings on the internet but I have been very careful and not relly encountered any problems in any of my times here.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM
Gringos Member

Please update your flags here

Hi Ronan and . Take the information shown on the internet with a pinch of salt. Yes, Cali is nearer to the problems in the Valle de Cauca, but like every City in every part of the world, if you are vigilant, and take the advice of locals then, unless you are very unlucky you will be fine.

I am presuming from your post that you will be able to speak Spanish, if that is the case, then you are half way there, if you can communicate with the locals, you will find things a lot easier.

How long were you in Cali, before the split? I am just thinking that you need to make sure you have a valid Visa to remain here, without getting in trouble.

As to specific advice on Cali, I can't help you, but there are Members living down there, so hopefully they will see your post and reply shortly.

Keep us informed on your progress, and Good Luck!

Phil

Old 03-17-2013, 02:23 PM
Active Members

Hi, thanks for your reply. I was here for six weeks in August/September last year. We stayed in Palmira which is very interesting but we were in Cali every day at circus school.
I hold an Irish passport and I am able to stay 3 months without a visa, but because of my work I am never able to stay any longer at one time anyway. I can speak just above basic Spanish. I am by no means fluent, but I can always get a point across and am improving in my understanding when people are talking to me.
I love the city of Cali. Also the countryside in the valle del cauca area is the most stunning I have ever seen and I have been to many places. I think I can be very happy here, I just need to get myself set up. I am still in an on off situation with my girlfriend so we are seeing ow it goes, but I wont let it affect my decision on moving here.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:50 PM

526 likes received
831 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from uk. Users To Flag Expat in brazil.

Welcome sir.

Just curiosity on my part, - but is there a difference between having an Irish and a UK passport for tourists?

Phil might well 'pop in' also, about this.

While we are on the subject, - what about a Brazilian passport and visas?

I'm sorry to hear of your problems with your girlfriend, but this is not uncommon in Latin America of course, - especially if there is a large age difference. (But NOT always of course.)

I have a very good American friend who lived in Cali, - he got out last year, (he intends to return, - but is resolving a legal problem at the moment, from in the USA rather than in Colombia, - his Colombian lawyer is on the job,) and he never stopped inviting me to visit his home in Cali. - He loves it.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:01 PM
Active Members

I am not sure the exact difference in the passports. I think the entry requirements and length of stay are very similar, but for some reason I have never had problems with my Irish passport. I know UK passport holders who when going through American airports to join and work on ships get put in a "glass room" for sometimes hours whilst their paperwork is scrutinised, but I have always had no problems. Whether that is the passport or luck I do not know.
There is not a massive age difference, i am 31, she is 25. But I think I was being taken for a ride. Certainly my other Colombian friends warned me about her and the distinct possibility of her taking advantage so I have all but given up with this one. But I am sure one day they'll be a decent one that comes into my life.
Your friend is right. if you have an opportunity to visit him the city is beautiful. Surrounded by mountains everywhere you look. People (majority of as in any city) are amazing and very helpful. Salsa discos, the beer, the food and all the prices are amazing.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Gringos Member

Please update your flags here

Ronan, I am assuming from your comment that you are from the Republic of Ireland and not the North, in which case, I am not sure, because it is not included in the 90 day visa exclusion list:

Restriction on visas to enter Colombia

There is no nationality restriction to travel to Colombia. A visa is required, except for citizens of the following countries (who stay strictly for tourism purposes and for a maximum of 90 days): Argentina, Austria, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Chile, Denmark, Ecuador, El Salvador, Spain, United States, Finland, France, Great Britain, Guatemala, Italy, Japan, Liechtenstein, Luxemburg, Mexico, Norway, The Netherlands, Peru, Poland, Republic of Korea (South Korea), Germany, Sweden, Switzerland, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, Venezuela and foreign residents of Canada and the United States.

If it is just a case of luck, then I hope it holds out for you!

Old 03-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Active Members

Yes from the Republic of Ireland. The girl on the immigration was very quick to ask that same question! There isnt many venues here celebrating St Patricks Day today!

Old 03-17-2013, 09:41 PM

526 likes received
831 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from uk. Users To Flag Expat in brazil.

Thanks for the answers above guys.

Ronan, - 31 vs 25 is no big deal.
Seems to me that your friends were right.
When we make good friends in Latin America, they are good friends indeed, and their advice should be followed (with caution of course.)

My simple question as to age difference was not ment to offend, but it is a reality. - Something that I know all about.

My first wife was one year older.
The next serious relationship was with a woman 9 1/2 years younger, then 13 years, then 18.
My second wife was 19, when I turned 41, and my last is 20 years younger exactly (same birthday,) who recently returned to Rio, fed up with the small city that I have lived in for a bit more than 4 years. - Plus there were other problems (financial.) - We are trying to sort things out.

Cultivate your male friends in Colombia IMHO, and they will direct you well, and help to "look after you" IMHO.

If they "all' give the "thumbs down" to a certain female, then they probably know what they are talking about.

But enough of women talk.

Good luck sir.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:22 AM

35 likes received
56 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in panama.

oh keep it up! I love the women talk...
Patti

Old 03-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Active Members

Hahahaha.
I finished with this one last night. I read a story from someone else on here from back in 2008 and thought how stupid I am and wasting my time. Haha my phone is red hot today with missed calls. I think its 9 and counting in the last half hour. This girl has just realised the bank has closed!

Closed Thread