Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia

Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia The Colombia Expat forum is for those who have started in a new life in Colombia and members who travel to Colombia frequently. If you are thinking about moving to Colombia then please feel free to talk with other experienced members. If you have any first hand experience, information, observations and facts about Colombia then please do share them with the rest of the Community.

Mail to and from Colombia?

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Senior Members

1 likes received

Please update your flags here
Question Mail to and from Colombia?

I'm about to start the K-1 visa process. I'm in NJ and my fiance is in Medellin. What's the safest/fastest/most economical way to send documents back and forth?

Thx.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Team GRINGOS

4 likes received

Default Re: Mail to and from Colombia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jook View Post
I'm about to start the K-1 visa process. I'm in NJ and my fiance is in Medellin. What's the safest/fastest/most economical way to send documents back and forth?

Thx.
DHL has always been my choice, Jook...congratulations by the way!!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:22 PM
Senior Members

1 likes received

Thanks Cap.

Their rate for documents appears to be about $50. Is that about the best I'm gonna find?

Old 03-14-2008, 08:27 PM

15 likes received

DHL was the cheapest back in '99 @ $25. Inflation

If you know someone going to wherever you have to get the documents, courrier it thru them. I've done it and have had others use me for the price of mailing it to them in the US.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 AM
Team GRINGOS

5 likes received

Sorry but that is about the cheapest.

The Mrs. was doing some consulting work a couple of months back and needed to send a CD disk with data back to Colombia. Cost $95 dollars DHL. She gave the client a choice of paying the fee or waiting until she found someone going back to Colombia.

With the fuel surcharges in place, they will only go higher...much higher. The flight between David, Panama and Panama City, an hour flight, went up $35 a week ago.

Congradulations! This is the type of news I enjoy hearing.

Last edited by Jib; 03-15-2008 at 01:51 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Team GRINGOS

2 likes received

I concur with DHL. I have found it to be the cheapest as well. Don't ever both with regular mail....even within Colombia (although I will say that my wife received packets 3 and 4 at her home in Bogota....but I have heard horror stories about mailing from the U.S. embassy in Bogota to other cities).

Griz

Old 03-16-2008, 10:19 AM
Active Members

Send a message via MSN to Mountain Man Send a message via Yahoo to Mountain Man Send a message via Skype™ to Mountain Man

Hey Jook,

Definitely do not use regular post. I can tell you stories about that! I personally have had bad luck with DHL… so I never did use them to Colombia. I have a friend who is with a logistics company whom also advised me not to touch DHL. FEDEX has never let me down.

Congrats! Happy to hear the good news.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Active Members

Last week sent docs from FL to Medellin via USPS Express Mail...two options Gar. Delivery 3 days $52...Express Mail 8-10 biz days, no gar $20. Sent to her biz address and arrived safely in 9 biz days. your exp. may vary!

Old 03-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

1 likes received

Well, I've had no problem with regular mail in the 3 or 4 times I've sent stuff, but I'm sure not gonna trust visa documents that way. Jay, I checked the USPS site and I see the guaranteed 3 day delivery option for $52. The weird thing is when you click help, a picture of a FedEx envelope appears. I have a feeling it's actually through FedEx and the USPS and FedEx partnered up. If that's the case, I'd feel safe sending it that way and it seems to be about the least expensive for "safe" delivery. I'll confirm it first. Thanks everyone.

Closed Thread