Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia

Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia The Colombia Expat forum is for those who have started in a new life in Colombia and members who travel to Colombia frequently. If you are thinking about moving to Colombia then please feel free to talk with other experienced members. If you have any first hand experience, information, observations and facts about Colombia then please do share them with the rest of the Community.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Solid_Salsa
  • 1 Post By Gringos Member

Realty

Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 AM
Active Members

3 likes received
3 likes given
Send a message via Yahoo to Noelstreet Send a message via Skype™ to Noelstreet

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in colombia.
Default Realty

I am looking for a reliable realtor in the the medellin, bello and bogota area. I will be retiring on on about 2500.00 a monnth and am looking for a place to live, Thanks, Joe

Old 05-20-2013, 08:41 AM
Gringos Member

Please update your flags here

Hi Joe, I'm afraid I can't help you on this one, my property dealing have so far been done through family and their local contacts, however as you know there are many members in the Medellin area, so I am sure you will receive the information shortly. Your budget is no problem, just take your time finding the right place!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 AM
Senior Members

297 likes received
1 likes given

Are you looking to buy or rent?
In Medellin there are two gringo realtors, but they will point you to Poblado and you will will get ex-pat pricing
If you are looking to rent, forget the local agencies, you will need two local co- signers.

To find a well priced rental, you really need your feet on the ground in Colombia, pick out areas you like and do a lot of walking, looking and talking, word of mouth is the best way to locate a rental by owner.
Hopefully you speak some Spanish

Old 05-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Senior Members

40 likes received
44 likes given

Have you spent much time in Colombia? I ask because the three locations you provided are quite diverse. The way I've found most effective is to pick an area that you have researched and feel an affinity for. Then, walk the streets, talk to doorman, and photograph the "for rent" or "for sale" signs in the windows. Then ask the agencies if they will accept upfront money in lieu of co-signers (some will, some won't). All this takes time and legwork but is often worth the effort in the end. Furnished rentals are not cost effective if you plan to stay over a year. They are double the price of unfurnished and, given that moving expenses are so cheap here, it's better to move your own furnishings. You will need to buy a refrigerator and washer though, as the vast majority of unfurnished rental do not include either. BTW, if you are not familiar with the language/terrain, try to find a bi-lingual guide that can help. And, I would recommend to anyone that they rent for a year before buying. Or, just continue renting. When you add up administration fees and taxes (which are not a renters responsibility) you may find it makes more sense to rent. I have many friends that found it not so easy to sell. One more tip... if you rent, try to negotiate the typical three month vacate notice down to one month. Always provide written notice of your intent to vacate an apartment (or else they WILL come after you for the rent they claim you should have paid). That never happened to me but I know several people that have been burned that way.

Deletion likes this.

Last edited by Solid_Salsa; 05-20-2013 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 01:16 PM
Gringos Member

I agree with the advice given by Solid_Salsa, however although the Administration (if there is any) and taxes are not your responsibility, they will be included in the rent. It is well worth asking if they will let you pay the Administration direct, rather than include it in the rent, for two reasons, firstly if the owner does not make the payment by due date, your entitlements may be withdrawn, and secondly if there is a problem, if the Administrator knows you are making the payment, it gives you more leverage.

Solid_Salsa likes this.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Members

40 likes received
44 likes given

Phil, I've never heard of that arrangement here but it makes good sense to request it. God knows, Colombians are NEVER late with their administration fees... LOL.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Gringos Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid_Salsa View Post
Phil, I've never heard of that arrangement here but it makes good sense to request it. God knows, Colombians are NEVER late with their administration fees... LOL.
We had a problem when we first moved in we paid the rent including the Admin to the Agent, but she just passed the money on to the owner, and it was his responsibility to pay the Admin, which he never did not time, so after 3 or 4 months we asked the Agent if we could pay the Admin direct and deduct it from the rent, we have had no problems since, and any problem onsite, the Administrator now knows me well enough that if it is not sorted, she doesn't get paid until it is!