Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia

Colombia Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Colombia The Colombia Expat forum is for those who have started in a new life in Colombia and members who travel to Colombia frequently. If you are thinking about moving to Colombia then please feel free to talk with other experienced members. If you have any first hand experience, information, observations and facts about Colombia then please do share them with the rest of the Community.

Sending Money from Colombia to US?

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:29 PM
Active Members

4 likes received

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in colombia.
Question Sending Money from Colombia to US?

As some of you know, I will be returning to the US next week.

In order to have some money to fund my return (problems courtesy of the financial meltdown of 401ks) I am selling my motorcycle. At least I had a lot of fun racking up 20,000 km here visiting various parts of the country.

I will be depositing the money in my local Colombian savings account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive, but also safe, manner of sending about $2,000 to the US? I imagine that Banco de Occidente can wire the funds to my account in the US, but I suspect that they charge a hefty fee for this service.

I really donīt want to carry this on my person for security reasons.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:39 PM

31 likes received
15 likes given

Default Re: Sending Money from US to Colombia?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickenCali View Post
As some of you know, I will be returning to the US next week.

In order to have some money to fund my return (problems courtesy of the financial meltdown of 401ks) I am selling my motorcycle. At least I had a lot of fun racking up 20,000 km here visiting various parts of the country.

I will be depositing the money in my local Colombian savings account.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an inexpensive, but also safe, manner of sending about $2,000 to the US? I imagine that Banco de Occidente can wire the funds to my account in the US, but I suspect that they charge a hefty fee for this service.

I really donīt want to carry this on my person for security reasons.
If you dont want to deal with fees, carrying it on you would be the best thing to do. Its only $2,000

Withdraw it right before you are ready to leave. That or wire it. Western Union will rape you in fees.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:42 PM
Senior Members

48 likes received
16 likes given

PC -
The fee, as far as I know, which isnīt far, is most likely $35 - 45. AND you might want to make it $1999 - I forget now EXACTLY why but MORE paperwork if it is $2000 or more. Could still be the money washing Colombia - U.S. drug thing; and this ifo is a year and a half old. You can Western Union, but they love to pound sand up your culo. That was not much help, but it is ALL I know.

Love - Micky

Old 03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Team GRINGOS

18 likes received
4 likes given

Western Union is more expensive than wiring the money from your Colombian bank to your US bank, which is probably the least expensive way to go. I would just carry it.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:28 PM
Active Members

4 likes received

Thanks, guys, for the response even though I notice that I reversed the title that should have been Sending Money from Colombia to the US.

Iīll consider carrying it in cash, but this being Colombia, and me living in a small pueblo, I worry about being intercepted in route to the airport (even though I am using a person of confidence to my wife as the taxi driver).

"Itīs only $2,000", but this is most of what I have left in liquid assets to start over again in the US.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Team GRINGOS

9 likes received
1 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from usa. Users To Flag Expat in usa.

Patrick are you moving back to the USA?? I may hae miscontrued what you said , but how is cali and what is new??

Quote:
Thanks, guys, for the response even though I notice that I reversed the title that should have been Sending Money from Colombia to the US.

Iīll consider carrying it in cash, but this being Colombia, and me living in a small pueblo, I worry about being intercepted in route to the airport (even though I am using a person of confidence to my wife as the taxi driver).

"Itīs only $2,000", but this is most of what I have left in liquid assets to start over again in the US.

Old 03-15-2009, 12:43 PM
Joe

Please update your flags here
Question Re: Sending Money from US to Colombia?

Quote:
"It's only $2,000", but all I have left in liquid assets to start over again in the US.
Are you serious Patrick? The economy hit you that bad? I'm sorry to know this... Hang in there!

:2cents:

Old 03-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Team GRINGOS

7 likes received

Default Re: Sending Money from Colombia to US?

If you are close to a Citibank, I would deposit it there and you should be able to withdraw it from a Citibank in the US without a few or a wire cost which as Mickey pointed out can be between 35-50 dollars. The good thing about using ATM's is you usually get a much better exchange rate than the bank which in addition to the wire cost will give you 95 cents on the dollar to exchange so if the exchange rate is 2,444 to the dollar, the bank will give you 2,564 to the dollar meaning you will get less than 2,000 US plus a wire transfer fee. Damn Banks

Old 03-15-2009, 05:58 PM
Team GRINGOS

5 likes received

Default Re: Sending Money from Colombia to US?

I got to Nicaragua with about 150k and lost it ALL in the first year.....

I knew not where my next meal was coming from, but I was 18 years younger, strong as a bull and determined to not let snything whip my a$$...

I made some friends in that time, had a positive attitude, and and job skills that were in demand.....

I am still here, my 1600 square foot home is PAID for, plus some other properties...Not worth the original 150k I came with, but I did wind up making a life for myself that I do immensely enjoy.....

Good luck to you Young Feller, which ever road you choose....