Go Back   Latin America Gringos Forum > South America Expat Forums > Brazil Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Brazil

Brazil Expat Forum For The Facts About Living In Brazil As Brazil’s growth starts to surpass some of the World’s more established economies it is becoming an ever more popular destinations for Expatriates to start a new life. Please join the Brazil forum to talk about life in Brazil with other experienced members.

Like Tree2Likes

Barra or Botafogo

Old 03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Rookie

1 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from uk. Users To Flag Expat in brazil.
Default Barra or Botafogo

Hi All,

I am interested in moving to Rio in the next year or so. I have done some preliminary research on the above areas but thought I'd also ask for some advice.

I am a single female, in my early thirties. I am very active and love to be doing things in my spare time, keeping busy, busy, busy! I will be working in Rio, at one of these two areas. Where would be a good place to live?

Can people give me a couple of pros and cons for each?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Active Members

3 likes received
Send a message via Skype™ to RRJ

I don't know Rio well enough to give you a couple of reasons, but Botafogo is good, and on the Metro. I nearly moved there last year - and I might go there again this year.

A nice place, I just love Rio though.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:46 PM

545 likes received
888 likes given

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalstorm View Post
Hi All,

I am interested in moving to Rio in the next year or so. I have done some preliminary research on the above areas but thought I'd also ask for some advice.

I am a single female, in my early thirties. I am very active and love to be doing things in my spare time, keeping busy, busy, busy! I will be working in Rio, at one of these two areas. Where would be a good place to live?

Can people give me a couple of pros and cons for each?

Thanks!
WELCOME to the Forum 'tropicalstorm'.

To answer your question better, one needs to know what interests you.

I lived in Irajá in the north zone for 12 years, then moved to Recreo dos Bandeirantes in 2000, moving at the end of 2008.

I know Rio like the palm of my hand, and will tell you right now that there are no better 'bairros' than Recreio dos Bandeirantes, Barra da Tijuca and Vargem Grande. - All connected, as you may well know.

I liked Botofogo and the other more famous 'bairros' such as Copacabana and Ipanema of the south zone when I was younger, - from my late 20s to late 30s, but got tired of the traffic, noise, polution and the crowds.

But to answer your question with what you wrote:
Simple, no question, Barra over Botofogo anyday.

Best of luck if you move to Rio.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM

545 likes received
888 likes given

Pros and cons.

Botofogo is close to the center.
Botofogo is close to the more famous clubs etc in the south zone.
Botofogo has a subway station.

The beach of Botofogo is heavily poluted.
The area is infamous for 'pivetes' (the young street thieves.)
The area is infamous for street prostitution, both female and male (tranvestites.)

Barra is quite a way from the center.
Barra has a great beach, and Recreio is just a bit further on, - the best beaches of the city are in Recreio.
Barra requires a car to be honest, Botofogo doesn't.

You can step out of your apartment block in Botofogo, and find a bar, supermarket or restaurant very close by, - walking distance.
Barra requires a short drive to these, unless one is in the very center of Barra, - then everything is close.

Barra has a fantastic cycle path on the beach, from the beginning of Barra, down to Recreio, - 18 Kms.
I wouldn't cycle in Botofogo.

Botofogo is an older bairro, and depending on the apartment, it could be solid with thick walls, where Barra has many new buildings with tiny apartments, and thin walls, and your neighbours could be noisy. - But Barra also has many new and expensive buildings, where this wouldn't be a problem.

Barra, Recreio and Vargem Grande, - Vargem Pequena too, is deffinately the area that is most going up in price, and is infact becoming the new 'south zone'. ie: - The 'money' is moving there, away from the old traditional 'zona sul'.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-21-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:24 PM
Rookie

1 likes given

Thank you all for your help.

At the moment, I'm living in the suburbs in the USA, 30 minutes drive from the city, and that's a problem for me. I've realised I'm a city girl. From your information, it sounds like Botafogo is probably what I'm looking for, despite the crime (is it awful?) and pollution. I hate having to drive to the city for a night out and want to be where the action is.

Thanks again!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:10 PM

545 likes received
888 likes given

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalstorm View Post
At the moment, I'm living in the suburbs in the USA, 30 minutes drive from the city, and that's a problem for me. I've realised I'm a city girl. From your information, it sounds like Botafogo is probably what I'm looking for, despite the crime (is it awful?) and pollution. I hate having to drive to the city for a night out and want to be where the action is.
Yes, sounds to me that you would prefer Botafogo.

Driving late here is problematical, not least because of parking and traffic etc but also due to the new laws concerning drinking and driving.

One can get a taxi easily from Copacabana or Ipanema back to Botafogo, or even a bus or the subway.
Barra is far away by comparison.

The crime is higher than you have ever seen in the UK or the USA, but if you read my thread about 'Security Precautions in Brazil', you will get an idea, and can come prepared.
No need to panic, but caution is required.

The polution I mention, is in the sea off the Botafogo beach, in the air and the noise.
But on weekends, one can drive or bus further away, or even spend the weekend a couple of hours away like many 'Cariocas' do, - ie: Go to "Angra" or Buzios etc.

tropicalstorm likes this.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:46 PM

545 likes received
888 likes given

I must just add young lady, that if I were you, I would seriously consider a stay down here first, - maybe a two week vacation, dividing your stay between Botafogo and Barra.

Then you could make an informed decission yourself.

Barra and the surounding area has grown so much in the last couple of decades.
It has become basically a 'little city' within the city of Rio.
It has everything. Bars, clubs, supermarkets etc.

Many people have moved their offices and companies from downtown Rio to Barra or Recreio.

Many people live and work in the Barra area and don't even bother to leave it anymore, - unless they are visiting somebody who lives elsewhere, or they are travelling.

Think of Barra and Recreio as a sort of 'Miami beach' or 'Long Beach' type environment/suburb.
18kms long, it is the area where many other residents are now going to on their evenings out and weekends.

The more traditional areas of Rio are where the tourists go, and the residents, - who are becoming ever more the older generations and retirees.

Younger people flock to Barra.

I'm just saying.
Try to visit first.

If I ever moved back to Rio, I'd go straight back to the area. - If I couldn't afford the area, I wouldn't bother to return to Rio to be quite honest.

Good luck.

Old 08-18-2013, 04:51 AM
Active Members

1 likes received
1 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from canada. Users To Flag Expat in brazil.

Barra and Recreio are awesome! I love surfing in Recreio.

Anthony likes this.

Old 08-18-2013, 11:19 AM

545 likes received
888 likes given

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminRio View Post
Barra and Recreio are awesome! I love surfing in Recreio.
Yes, they are awesome.

WELCOME to the Forum.

Old 08-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Active Members

1 likes received
1 likes given

Users From Flag Originally from canada. Users To Flag Expat in brazil.

I feel that Barra and Recreio are becoming the "new" Ipanema and Copacabana. There are new modern buildings being constructed for both living and working, and if you enjoy biking, surfing, running, walking, skateboarding, shopping, these are great areas.

Tags
barra, botafogo, expat, relocating, rio